|Scene with the background cards deactivated|
Now the normal process I would go through for adding a background painting into a scene is to create a Card node and attach it to the Scene node, with the source image being the matte painting. I did that when starting out with this shot before I realized the matte painting wasn't big enough to fit all of the camera moves in the shot.
|Turning on the original Matte Painting in the scene.|
|The first matte painting card in 3D space. As shown, it didn't exactly cover all of the motion of the camera's cone.|
|In the actual shot, this is the first matte painting card. This is for the first portion of the camera rotation.|
|The end of the camera's rotation doesn't have any background in it with only one card in the scene.|
|And the camera pull-out doesn't have any background in it either.|
After seeing this, I duplicated the first card and translated it in 3D space. It was never meant to be a wrap-around image, but I needed to make it seem seamless in this expansive scene. Trying to attach the two by an edge while making it wrap around the scene was fun. Here's the fruits of my labor.
|The two cards in 3D space. More of the cone angle is covered, meaning the camera's pan now has background.|
|The camera pan is now complete, however...|
|The original shot still had a hole in it, as well as the pull-out not being fully filled.|
These holes still meant another card was needed. True, it would have also been possible to scale the cards and then re-translate them to fit the edges together again, but to save time I decided to just create a third card and use it to fill in the space still open in the background.
|The third card in the 3D system in Nuke.|
|And the final composite of the background paintings for this shot.|
|The full and active node tree for the background setup of this shot.|
And here we have a fabricated fully seamless background painting!